2019年8月14日水曜日

Day6 Nick's Eco Home, Palm Cove, ABC news article

Refresh Camp Day6 

25th July (Thu)

Fukushima kids visited Nick san in the morning.


Thankfully, Catherine drove 12 seater for us.

She offered to become hostfamily for Ayaka and this is her 3rd time to join this project as host family.
We really appreciate continuous support!




OZ friend came to say Hi.





 We were supposed go to Nick's home in March last year.
 But it was heavy rain and we couldn't go last year.

We are so glad we could visit this year.
Thank you very much Nick san.


Nick introduced kids his garden first.
There are many fruit trees and all sorts of other trees.








100%  renewables by 2020 




Nick was thinking about earth and global warming since 40years ago while he was working as a solar panel electitian.

Now he is living with renewable energy with soler power.

 He is enjoying eco life next to a river in the mountain.


 Fukushima kids tried pure water from rain.


Nick san is trying not to produce unnesessary rubbish.



Many people try to buy many staff to make them happy.
More and More nowadays.

But with less things, you can feel more happy.

Let's get good quality shoes and clothes, then wear those for a long time.
If it's broken, then let's fix it and wear them again.

Let's repare instead of throwing things away.

Sometimes quality products are more expensive initially, but last longer,
and more easily repaired.


Please think about the earth.





 Let's be gentle with the earth and protect it.
If you think you're too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
(Buddhist saying)


 Kids inspired with Nick's life.

 Please read their report.


We went to Palm cove.




Fukushima kids had lunch at Espresso & Co Cafe Bar, Palm Cove.
https://www.facebook.com/espressoandcocafebar/

The leader of the day ordered lunch for all kids.
Well done.

They really enjoyed their lunch there. 


 
Thank you very much.



They enjoyed great location as well.

After lunch, let's go to the beach!


Kids were little surprised that the water colour was brown.

But they really enjoyed walking and playing with barefeet on the beach.

Marian from ABC news came to meet Fukushima kids for article. 





Photo shooting on the beach.
Kids got interviewed on the bus.

Karin



 Ayaka

And then, Hiro.
After 311, Hiro joined many refresh camp in Japan.



This is the ABC article.

Please read kid's story.Thank you.



Kids report 

Yuhi Watanabe




Yuuhi Watanabe

For the first time, I visited the house of someone who lives in a self-sustained manner. Such lifestyle far exceeded my imagination. The world is becoming more and more convenient. Therefore, it is becoming easier to live. I was surprised that he even grows his own food. Moreover, in order to reduce waste, he would try to fix broken things so they can be reused. In contrast, I tend to want new things very quickly. Therefore, I tend to want to buy clothes that are in trend, and throw away things even if they are not broken. Nick said, "This piece of clothing may have a hole, but it is still keeping me warm. So I would fix it and wear it again." When he said that, I was really touched. He also taught us that, "If everyone on the planet consumed like we are doing now, four Earths would be needed to sustain it". Indeed, I have made unnecessary things necessary and have been acquiring them. If we continue to live like this, I thought that our planet will be destroyed. I thought that I would like to be someone that will cherish one thing more carefully. 

We went to the sea. It was very cool and refreshing. We played and had lots of fun.

After the host family picked us up, Yua and we went fishing by a river. I was surprised that we could catch fish just by throwing in a net. We played "look this way" and "tag" with boys, and it was a lot of fun.
When we returned home, I found out for the first time that you can eat kangaroo meat. Tonight, before the meal, I felt reluctant eating kangaroo meat. When I tried it, I thought it tasted like liver. It was quite chewy, and I had to chew on it a lot. It was very delicious. Also, the host family told me it tastes delicious if you put soy sauce on kangaroo meat. Sure enough, after dipping it in soy sauce, it suddenly turned into a Japanese-like flavour, and I could not put my chopsticks down. I was happy I could eat something Aussie.


・・・・・

HItotaka Kuchiki

Hirotaka Kuchiki

First impressions:
Nick's house is powered by solar panels.
Opposite the river that runs beside Nick's house is listed as world heritage.

Reflections:
I understood that Nick's lifestyle is very eco-friendly and one of contentment.
We relaxed by the sea shore and prepared for the following day.
On the radio, I said clearly what I wanted to Australian people to know.
I thought that if more people lived like Nick and reduced waste, global warming will become less of a problem.



・・・・・
Yua Kanno

Yua Kanno

First impressions:
For the first time, I visited someone who lives self-sustained. I was touched that one can live more by caring for the planet and less by valuing own possessions. 
Australian sea was brown in colour. 
I went fishing by the river.

Reflections:
This morning, I left something behind and made everyone wait. It won't happen again... I'm sorry.
-------
In the morning, we visited Nick, who lives self-sustained. He was leading a lifestyle that I could never do myself, and I was so surprised. Water is heated using solar power, water is collected by recycling rain water, and he grows his own food. Such was his lifestyle. Moreover, he sews clothes that are ripped, and shoes are made of leather so he can make the most wear out of them. He was leading an eco life.
I was told he has been thinking about global warming since forty years ago. I was taught the importance of leading a life that prioritises the health of the planet, rather than the comfort of one's own life. Thank you, Nick!!
---
For lunch, I ate chicken and potato. They were delicious!!
After lunch, we went to the beach.
It was windy, and I was surprised that the ocean colour was brown!
We had a fun playing there. I am looking forward to the Great Barrier Reef tomorrow!

After the beach, we had an interview with the radio station. I didn't talk though, the students who got the interview talked with passion. I wish the listeners could understand us as much as possible!!

After the shooting, we walked the beach by ourselves for 15 minutes. I bought ice cream and cookies. I couldn't read English and I bought a cookie judging by the appearance, actually it said "ginger" that I did not notice... I should be able to feel its taste nice once I grew up (?), this time I couldn't finish it and everybody helped me! Next time, I will try to read English, lol.

Sorry that I didn't get off the van at the point of pick-up (>o<)

On the way home, we did fishing! We used a strainer, so we should call it fish scooping, lol. Actually we could scoop 7-8 fish! It was amazing!! (Oliver will use them for fishing on Saturday)

At home, we did a BBQ with host families. I communicated a lot with everyone, and it was very nice day!!

Thank you for driving for us today, Catherine san!! 
Thank you for translating for us today, Maki san!!
Thank you for joking for us today, Kodama san!!
Thank you very much!!


Karin Hirakuri

Karin Hirakuri

First impressions:
* I visited Nick’s house and saw for the first time what it might be like to lead a self-sustained lifestyle.
* I went in to the sea in Cairns for the first time. It was a bit cold but felt good.

Reflections:
In the garden, there were mangoes, avocados, chilli and even turmeric. Rainwater is used for drinking water. Electricity is generated only by solar panels. Today, I visited a home of someone living in a self-sustainable manner. I imagined a kind of life, perhaps like that of an aboriginal person, which begins with making fire, so honestly, I was quite surprised. 

Nick said that the less you own, the wealthier the life becomes. Upon reflection, I agreed with him. In the afternoon, we went to the sea and also had an interview with the ABC Radio there. We played a lot there. 

At the radio interview, I felt that I was able to answer fluently in English to questions asked in English. It was a moment where I felt like I was able to respond properly in English for the first time since coming to Australia. This is a result of practising English with my host family. “Hard work bears fruit!!” I learnt that today.



・・・・・
Ayaka Fujii


Ayaka Fujii

First impressions:
I was amazed that Nick leads a self-sustainable lifestyle. I thought it was commendable that he uses rainwater for water and fixes his own clothes and shoes. I felt that if there were more people like him, we would be able to accelerate building a kind society on this planet. I wondered how many people like him are around.

Reflections:
Today, I was reminded the importance of keeping a smile. There are two reasons. The first reason is because I heard from Nick that he enjoyed leading this self-sustainable lifestyle. Until now, I felt that rich people lead more fun lives. However, today, I felt that it might not be the case. If you lead a life that makes you smile, it does not matter whether you are rich or poor. The second reason is because I went to the beach today. I laughed a lot with my friends and made great memories. My feet got dirty with beach sand, but it was fun. Also, when I was interviewed by ABC Radio, I got confused a few times, but it was a good experience. I ended up talking in Japanese, but I hold onto the saying that “a failure is a start of success”, so I want to take it with a positive attitude. I felt that I would like to be able to speak everything in English, so I will study it harder.
I also enjoyed eating the pancakes. I loved the combination of strawberries and bananas.
Thank you so much!

"If you smile, other people will also smile." 





Miko Kambayashi

Miko Kanbayashi

First impressions:
There is a lane on the road dedicated to cyclists.

Reflections:
I got to hear from Nick, who leads a self-sustainable life. I was impressed that Nick would produce his own supplies such as electricity and water, which are dependent on nature. The plant that smells of lemon when rubbed together with fingers gave off pleasant fragrance. While lifestyles are increasingly becoming convenient with the growing availability of plastic and chemical products, it is possible to pursue a lifestyle that is planet-friendly. It is not possible to do this all by yourself right from the beginning, so I want to move towards eco life by taking small steps at a time.

At the beach, I was able to enjoy myself for the first time in a long while. I don't get to go to sea that often, so it was really nice to play there.



Taisei Kanno
(Photo: Taisei with host family)

Taisei Kanno

-I was impressed that they live with rain water and harvest from their garden. I was also surprised that they have been worried about global warming for 40years. 
-I thought many people were concerned about global warming recently but I was impressed when they told us they started thinking about it 40years ago. I was also moved that they actually live in eco life, not just thinking. Today, I touched the sea water for the first time in Australia. It was a bit muddy after the rain but I saw the horizon. It was beautiful.


Yushi Ito



25Jul Yuushi Ito
-We visited Nick’s place. I was moved by his actions to protect the earth from global warming, rather than his own everyday life. I often buy too much unnecessary stuff, so I thought I should buy less, take care of things and protect the earth. 
-We went to the beach. We didn’t get in the water but played on the sand by burying my friends’ feet and mine as well. The sand was nice and warm. But the water was muddy and not nice. I was surprised that it was because of the rain. We had lunch afterwards. I had some hot chips with ketchup. It was so delicious. Others had pancakes and egg toast...etc. They all looked so yummy. The most impressive thing was Nick’s life style. I’ve relearned the importance of cherish things from him. I also review my life style. I tend to buy too much stuff as I mentioned so I’d like to take good care of what I have and stop the global warming.




























































































0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿