2018年3月27日火曜日

Cairns Refreshing Camp Day 3 - Local visit and talking session

Cairns Refresh Camp Day3

The next day of the arrival in Cairns, we gathered up at
Village Café on Collins.
The owner Mark & Caroline have been supporting this project
from the first year as the host family as well.

The kids explained about Fukushima to Caroline & other local people.
The interpreter is Akina, who arrived in Cairns one night before.
She came over from Horsham, VIC taking many hours for this project.
Caroline had a speech as well.
Her son went to Japan for study in 2011 after the earthquake and she had a lot of talk with him before she let him go.
She carefully listened to the Fukushima Kids and gave comments to them.

Fukushima Kids project supporter Sato Family moved to Australia from Japan after the disaster.
They explained about their story about that and shared their thoughts. 
With compliments of the café, the kids enjoyed scones, banana breads and milk shakes.
Thank you Mark & Caroline!

From Caroline to the kids

Saying thank you to Mark, Village Café owner

Moved by warm heart of Mark, they started to take photos of him like this!

Mark, Caroline and all staff members, thank you so much for your continuous support!

Next visiting place was Sushi Train Cairns North, who is always supporting Smile with Kids.

They invite us every year and treat kids to beautiful sushi.
Kids were of course delighted!
Thank you so much Shun, manager of the shop and all the staff members!


Kids explained about Fukushima here as well.



Thank you for your continuous support!

Those eco acrylic dish washers (hand-made) are donated by Nana's grandma.
We will use them for the fund-raising later.  Thank you!!

After the beautiful sushi lunch, we moved to Cairns City Library.

We planned to have a talking session by Kim Forde from Mt. Emerald Wind Farm but Kim could not make it because of the road closure due to the weather.

Then we have changed the plan to watching a video about the relationship of uranium between Australia and Japan and a message from an indigenous lady who is related to the area.
Receiving those messages, we had a talking session.

Jun from Wakuwaku Japanese Radio had a talk about the nature in Cairns and the relationship with Aborigines.

And we watched a movie.  Kids were surprised that the uranium has been exported from Australia to Japan.

After the movie, we had a talking session in a circle.

They already had a lot of speech from morning and a bit tired.
Though they told us that they would try to explain what they feel with their own words at the begging of this camp, when they stand up in front of the audience, they feel nervous and shy... It always happens.  That the way it is.

Don't worry everybody.
You are already doing your best trying a speech in overseas!
Great challenges.

In this session, they started to reveal their own ideas and opinions raising up hands.

One of the kids said,
The solar electricity is a good thing but if you cut off the trees invading mountains,
that might be wrong.

I was moved to hear that the kids are having their own opinions.

Ms. Morita and her son came from Japan to hear the voices of the people who experienced the March 11th. She came over from Japan only for this opportunity!

Though there was a plan change, we had a really meaningful time.

After that, we visited to Maruyu Japanese Convenience Store, who is always supporting Smile with Kids with the donation box.

Kids were so interested in the Japanese products sold in overseas.


We also visited the OK Gift Shop.  They also have a donation box of Smile with Kids and always keep introducing about this project to the tourists from Japan.

The shop manager, Masa

Getting souvenirs for families and friends in Japan and receiving some presents such as eco-bags and water bottles from the shop, everyone was so happy.

Thank you very much for welcoming us with the warm heart.

There were some changes throughout the day, however we had a wonderful and meaningful day today.

Thank you everyone who supported us!!

***Reports from Fukushima Kids***

26 MAR  Nana Maruyama 

We went to Sushi Train today.
Had a Maguro-Tuna&Avocado roll (It was so… delicious.)


Then, we are visiting OK GIFT SHOP in Cairns city.
I bought dome koala-key rings for my family and friends.
Koala key rings are so….cute♡


I went for a walk with Henry, Mizuki and the dog Rufas.

I saw a lot of dogs and enjoyed with them.  I liked the moment when a dog called Curly jumped on me and I got my white clothes covered with mud.
Because we went for a walk a bit later than yesterday, we could see a dog called Tova and played with a ball together.
It was a very nice time.  

Tomorrow, we will have a lunch at school.  I am looking forward to it.







26 MAR Sumire Kuge
What stood out for me today?

Today, some plans got changed.
We first went to sushi shop. After that, we went to the library and OK souvenir shop.
At the library, we heard some talks and watched some videos. At that point, I learnt for the first time that the uranium that was used at Fukushima nuclear power plant was mined here in Australia.
I learnt how the aboriginal people were grieving sincerely about it, and I was really moved.

Some reflections

At the sushi shop, I ate Japanese food for the first time in a while and I felt really secure. At my home stay, the main food is bread, so it was really nice to eat some rice.

After this, we went to the library and had some discussions. When I saw the video clip of an aboriginal person, I felt that these people can feel other’s pain. It even made me think that perhaps we are being too optimistic about the whole issue. On the one hand, the aboriginal people in Australia are grieving about the nuclear power plant accident. On the other hand, the Japanese government is pushing to increase nuclear energy. It’s hard to get my head around it. And it gave me goosebumps to when thinking about this ludicrous situation.

What was striking was conversations about spirituality and natural environment. We talked about how in both Japan and Australian aboriginal culture, there have been practices from ancient times of worshipping nature and treating nature as something sacred. That was meaningful.

Finally, we went to OK shop and bought some souvenir gifts for our family and friends in Japan. There were a lot of cute things there and it was hard to decide what to get, but I’m happy I got some souvenirs.

At my home stay, I was able to talk a lot more than a day before, so it was really fun. We saw television together, listened to music on lap top, and I found myself being able to understand English more and more. I hope to talk with my host family more tomorrow and expand my horizons.


26 MAR Wakana Takeda
What stood out for me today:
* That Australia is famous for being a country that exports uranium, and that Australian uranium fuelled the Fukushima nuclear power plant

What I want to research more about:
* The relationship between Australia and Fukushima (Japan), changes between before and after the disaster

What I’m grateful about:
* Through visiting Sushi Train and the discussion session at the library today, I was reminded how there are many people who are supporting this program and who take great interest in these issues.

Some reflections

At the cafe, Caroline showed interest in our stories of Fukushima at the time of disaster and Fukushima now. When I was stuck for words, she kept listening to me patiently and encouragingly, and I was really touched. It was interesting to know how some Australian people perceive the disaster and what they want to know about.

At the session at the library, we watched some videos, then we sat in a circle and had some discussions. Some things we talked about included how the 2011 Great East Japan earthquake was disaster on an international scale, and how in spite of many areas that are far from being reconstructed, why the media do not report about it. It was a great opportunity for me to think about the problem of disaster from multiple perspectives. Moreover, after hearing diverse views, I was reminded that when you know people who hold different views, it is possible to realise that there is not just one opinion but many, and how that leads to broadening my perspectives. I thought it was important to hear different viewpoints, whether they are similar or contrasting to mine, and then to convey my thoughts from the way I feel or think.


26 MAR Sumire Noda
What stood out for me today?

* Today was full of happenings. For example, when we were heading to cafe this morning, due to the influence of heavy rain from the day before, what would normally take 30mins took two hours
* The sushi at the Sushi Train was as delicious as the ones in Japan!
* I was able to buy some souvenir gifts at OK Gift Shop

Some reflections

Today, plans changed because of rain, but it was a really fun day.

At the library, we watched some videos about nuclear energy’s fuel, uranium. Although the disaster occurred in Fukushima, there were things about Fukushima residents like us didn’t know about.
I learnt that even though on television and the internet, some things are declared as “safe”, it is not always the case.
I think it’s important to tell about what’s happening in Fukushima now in Australia. And when I go back to Japan, I would like to share what I’ve learnt in Australia.

I was able to speak more with my host family today and able to converse in English. I would like to play origami with my host family tomorrow!



26 MAR  Mizuki Nomura



What stood out for me today?



I was wondering the meaning of road signs "KEEP LEFT" or "KEEP RIGHT".

A chocolate shake which I got at the Village Café was great.  I want to have it again!



Some reflections



Catherine took me to a pizza place and that was yummy.  Went to supermarket after and she bought some bread for my breakfast tomorrow.  The smell of the bread made us hungry in the car.  It smelled really good and I wanted to eat it soon.  On the way home, she kept talking to me and it was fun.  I felt the time goes faster because I enjoyed talking.  She asked me about the lunch tomorrow as well, I enjoyed that conversation too.  She washed my clothes as well and I could not stop giving her a gratitude for everything.  I am looking forward to the day tomorrow.  Thank you very much, Catherine!



*There are a lot of "KEEP LEFT" sign on the road.

*The chocolate shake at Village Café was really good

*The pizza for dinner was delicious

*When I gave her an origami love heart with a message "Thank you so much today", she was so delighted and hugged me

*I was impressed by Catherine's Japanese skill

*The cars in Australia run faster than in Japan.(Japan=60km, Austraia=70 or 80km)






Mio Sagawa

What stood out for me today?
I found out today that Australia was involved in Fukushima nuclear power plant accident.
I learnt today that the uranium from Australia has been utilised to fuel nuclear energy in Fukushima, and possibly even for nuclear armament. I wondered how Australian people may feel about that.

Some reflections


Tonight, I had a long chat with my host mother. We talked about nuclear energy, renewable energy, about my older brother, and about radiation. I realised that there were many things that could be talked about because it was from me.
Tonight, I saw a video clip of a song called “Be the light” by ONE OK ROCK. I had seen it before. When I first saw it, I could not help but cry buckets of tears. It tugged my heart strings.
The scenes of buildings falling down, tsunami rolling across, rubbles and debris, person breaking down in tears, child looking for her mother were too cruel. My area was not affected by tsunami but I tried to think for a moment how I would have felt if I were in their shoes. To think that I would lose my family…it’s unthinkable… I’d imagine everyday would be torturous.
At the same time, I’m encouraged by this song. The title of the song is “Be the light”. When I look at this, it made me think that we are the ones that could change the future of Japan.


Mahiro Fukuda

What stood out for me today?

I find that Australian people are kind. When we went to cafe, Caroline’s friend came over to shake my hand. This warmed my heart.
When I went back home, my host mother gave me a time to nap. I really appreciated that.

What surprised me today was, when I was looking at the road, I saw that there were lanes dedicated to cyclists! And lanes here are wide! Now that’s different from Japan…

Some reflections

Justin (host brother) is very good at speaking Japanese.
I was able to talk to my host dad and host mum in English a bit.
I’m still not used to English…
I’m still not used to this new place…
I’m also still not used to this new environment…
In spite of that, my host family accepts me just for who I am.
I want to talk to them more until my last day here.
Today, there is one thing I decided that I’d like to be more intentional about. And that is, I want to speak more English!
And I want to be able to speak it well!
I really felt that strongly and sincerely.
Will it be too late if I focus on improving English after I go back to Japan… I have worries, but anyway, I really want to work on my English. That’s what I felt a lot today.



Koki 26 MAR

What stood out for me today:

*I visited the school where my host mother Miki works.
This school was a little different from the schools I know. It had online classes as well. I was interested.
*I need to study who "Ohashi Kyosen" is...
P.S. The "Salmon Volcano" sushi was delicious.

Some reflections

Today, we went to the City Library and talked about energy issues. In the talk session, Sumire Noda said "I saw people cutting off the trees in a mountain for building Solar panels in a wide area."
When I heard that, I regretted that I had been thinking that the renewable energy was the best for the environment because I have never thought there was a fact like that. I realised that I need to investigate myself about those issues initiatively.

In Addition

Someone said " the nuclear power plant accident is not the issue only for Fukushima people." I think the same because we can find the nuclear power plants everywhere in the world. According to the media, they say as if this kind of problem is relating to Fukushima only. However, I think this issue is not only for particular people but also for everybody to consider.










0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿